Wednesday, March 7, 2012

How about a Milkshake -- For Breakfast?

...and, it's healthy!

Okay, what?  Let's start at the beginning, shall we?  I was blog-hopping the other day, following one link to the next and getting introduced to some pretty fabulous food bloggers.  I landed on Dashing Dish, a blog that offers "healthy alternatives to the food you crave".  {Some examples ~ guacamole, lemondrop cupcakes, loaded pasta salad, and banana bread french toast...hello!}.  Dashing Dish is run by a girl named Katie who could not be any more adorable if she tried; she includes fitness information {and has some religious-based posts too}, but the overwhelming majority of the site is recipes, recipes, recipes!  Katie mentions that she lost 20 pounds and has kept it off for five years, and she is also a nurse, so I feel confident taking some healthy recipe tips from her.

The most divine post I came across on Dashing Dish is her I Can't Believe It's Not a Milkshake protein shakes.  Now, most of us have knocked back a chalky, watery, and/or unnatural-tasting protein shake after a workout at one time or another.  Protein is important, especially when you're working out, but many protein shakes leave much to be desired.  So I was instantly intrigued when I hit upon Dashing Dish's list of delicious sounding shake combinations.  They all start with the same base ~ a mix of lowfat cottage cheese, protein powder, sweetener (like stevia), ice and water.  Then a dash or two of a few extra ingredients transforms this shake into a decadent treat that you can feel good about!  {Don't let the cottage cheese part weird you out ~ I don't like cottage cheese at all, but you don't taste it, it blends right up into the shake with everything else and gives it that milkshake-y texture, and it sneaks some calcium into your diet}.


I upgraded the Cookies and Cream Shake from a breakfast or post-workout shake into more of an indulgence by using two real Oreos {instead of the 100-calorie pack kind} in the shake and a dollop of whipped cream on top.  If you're counting calories or Points, remember that modifications like this will alter the calories or Points a bit.


I gave the Peanut Butter Butterscotch Shake a whirl last Friday ~ and I've had a Dashing Dish Shake every day since then!  Peanut Butter Butterscotch is my favorite so far ~ it tastes so good, you think you're being naughty!  Katie posts the calorie and Weight Watchers PointsPlus information for each shake, though, so you know you're actually not being bad at all!  I've also tried the Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake, the Oatmeal Cookie Shake, a modified Cookies and Cream Shake {see above}, and a taste of the Thin Mint shake I made for my husband.

I usually have my shake for breakfast, which also happens to be a post-workout protein boost for me.  I work out right when I wake up, so these shakes pull double-duty in providing me with a filling meal and delivering some all-important protein to my hard-working muscles.

Here, the recipe for my now-beloved Dashing Dish Peanut Butter Butterscotch Shake! {Click here to access Katie's original I Can't Believe It's Not a Milkshake post, including lots of variations; or click here to scroll through her entire Shakes category, which includes seasonal shakes like Pumpkin Pie and Malted Milk Chocolate}.


Dashing Dish Peanut Butter Butterscotch Shake

1/2 cup    lowfat cottage cheese
1             scoop protein powder  {around 100 calories/scoop...Katie and I both use Designer Whey vanilla}
1-3          packets of low-or-no-calorie sweetener {I use Truvia}
5-10        ice cubes {I use 7 to be able to drink through a straw, or 10 to eat with a spoon}
1/2 cup    to 1 cup water {I use a little more to be able to drink through a straw}
2 Tbsp    sugar-free butterscotch pudding mix {in powder form}
2 Tbsp    peanut flour, or 1 Tbsp peanut butter
              a few drops maple extract {optional}

Combine all ingredients in a blender.  Remember to use the "pulse" mode on your blender so that your blenders' motor doesn't burn out from trying to chop up the ice.  Once blended completely, pour into a glass and serve with a straw or a spoon, depending on the consistency.


Enjoy!  {I know you will}

xoxo
Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment