Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Beauty Department

Last spring, Lauren Conrad {of The Hills fame, but also a fashion designer in her own right} and a few pals launched the website The Beauty Department, a site that offers frequent hair, makeup, skincare and sometimes fashion tips.  I had heard about the site months ago, but I just finally got around to checking it out ~ I didn't even realize what I'd been missing!

The Beauty Department often posts step-by-step tutorials to guide you to beauty perfection, whether the task be somewhat simple {like tackling a salon-perfect blow dry at home} or a bit more complex {like some fun and fancy nail art}.


I was so excited to see this post detailing the way to get a great blow-out.  I have a lot of hair {usually it's almost down to my waist} and I can never get that "salon" blowout on my own.  I usually end up throwing my hair up in a messy bun because it's just easier than struggling with the blow dryer and brush, and not even winding up with the results I want.  I'm hoping these instructions can help me solve my basic blowout problems once and for all!

Click here for the blowout basics instructions.












I love a pretty red lip ~ it's a style that hit the mainstream hard a few years ago {Christina Aguilera's Candyman video helped!} and it seems like it's here to stay.  Red lips, when done correctly, are downright striking ~ ladylike and sexy at the same time.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of ways to mess it up ~ picking the right red, first of all;  making sure the color stays on your lips and doesn't make it's way onto your face, for another example.

Click here for the start-to-finish instructions on how to get a great red lip that will stay put.











"Fashion Friday" posts on The Beauty Department usually show a particular type of dress or clothing style {shown here ~ basic A-line frocks}, and give you a few examples of which hair styles work best with it, and more importantly, why.  It might sound silly, but when you want to look perfect from head-to-toe {especially for formal events like weddings or an important first date}, all the details count!

Click here for the complete post {including illustrated examples of hairstyles to pair with A-line dresses}.











Perhaps my favorite posts that I've happened upon at The Beauty Department are the DIY, super adorable manicure tips!  Check out the two examples below, and click the links for instructions on adding hearts to your mani's {hint: it involves toothpicks, and it does not involve freehanding hearts} and for nautical nails {I cannot wait for summer to try these out!}.




Have fun beautifying, lovelies!

xoxo
Bean

{photo credit:  all courtesy of thebeautydepartment.com}

No comments:

Post a Comment