Monday, September 12, 2011

Are You Ready For Some Football?



Well, I'm not...that is, I don't really care. :)  But even though I couldn't really care less what sport is on the TV most of the time, I do enjoy that this time of year means football parties ~ and that means fun snacks!  Football viewing is synonymous with chips, dip, and beer.  {I might as well lay it all on the table now ~ I also don't drink beer.  I know, I'm sorry ~ I'm no fun!  I just don't like it!  But that means there is plenty more for YOU, and I'll be glad to play the perfect party hostess and keep the cold ones comin' for ya!}

Football viewers aren't looking for a gourmet meal to dine on while cracking beers and screaming at the TV...the simpler, the better.  But week after week, the same old snacks can get a little stale.  So if you're looking to mix it up, give these quick and easy dip recipes a whirl!  The first is a basic taco dip recipe, and it is so addicting!  I got this recipe from my father-in-law, who got it from my sister-in-law, who got it from her ex-boyfriend's mom... It's one of those much-loved, often-passed-on recipes, and it doesn't take much more effort than that old game day standby ~ ripping open a bag of Ruffles potato chips and swirling a packet of ranch powder into a container of sour cream. :)  The second recipe is a little bit fancier {for the football fan with a discerning palate} but doesn't take much more effort.  This one was given to me by my cousin E {another one of those recipes that gets passed around because it's just too yummy!}


Simple Taco Dip  

16 ounces whipped cream cheese
16 ounces sour cream
1 packet lower-sodium taco seasoning
1 package shredded Mexican cheese
Shredded lettuce, diced tomato, sliced olives, chopped jalapeno, etc.

Combine cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning with a handheld mixer.  Spread mixture in a 13'x9' pan (or similar).  Top generously with shredded cheese and other dip toppings of your choice.  Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!



{Minus the Spinach} Artichoke Dip

1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2/3 cup light mayonnaise
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 ounces sour cream
8 ounces light cream cheese
2-4 shakes garlic salt (I probably do more like 6)
Small package sliced almonds

Mix all ingredients together {except almonds} in a mixing bowl with a spoon.  When ingredients are well-combined, spread into an oven-safe casserole dish {I use a Corningware} and sprinkle sliced almonds on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until warmed throughout.  Serve with a sliced, toasted baguette for dipping or spreading.


I hope you can get some use out of these party dip recipes this football season ~ make sure your friends come for the football and stay for the snacks! :)  And I would be remiss if I didn't give a heads up to all you beer fans that Sam Adams Octoberfest is in stores {has been for a week or two}.  If history tells us anything, it's that Octoberfest will be sold out long before it actually feels like fall ~ so stock up now!

xoxo
Bean

{photo credits: todiefordips.com; flickr.com; sportsvideodaily.com}

No comments:

Post a Comment