Friday, September 9, 2011

Get a Workout for Your Mind and Body


Do you namaste?  If you don't, you should!  Yoga is not just for hippies anymore, nor is it for pretentious yuppies.  Yoga is a workout that can fit your lifestyle, your schedule, and your fitness level.  It clears your head, relaxes you, challenges you {more than you might think!}, and stretches and tones your muscles for an all-over workout without bulk.

Now, I don't for a second believe models and actresses who claim they stay in silver-screen shape strictly by practicing yoga.  A healthy diet, a healthy dose of cardio, and a healthy serving of amazing genetics are needed for those results.  However, yoga is a legitimate workout, if done correctly.  When I forced my husband to try a yoga class with me, he was surprised at how fatigued his muscles got and how challenging {or impossible, in some cases} it was to hold certain poses.  I don't think yoga ever becomes "easy", because you are constantly challenging yourself to get deeper into poses and hold them for a longer period of time, and using your own body weight as resistance to get stronger.  On the other hand, don't think that you need to wait to be more "in shape" before taking up yoga ~ you can work at your own pace, learning your body's strengths and weaknesses, and slowly transform your body into one that is stronger and more flexible.

There are some truly fantastic yoga studios out there, and it is nice to be in an environment that helps you feel the "Zen" vibe of a yoga workout, as well as to have an instructor to make sure you're doing poses correctly and to modify poses for you when needed.  These days, if you don't have a stand-alone yoga studio near you {and you probably do}, you should be able to find a local gym that offers classes. But workout classes don't always fit the budget or the schedule, do they?  I have a local yoga studio that I love, but at $14 a class, it's hard to swing it sometimes {I snagged a Groupon deal last week though ~ very excited about that!}.  Or, maybe you can handle the cost no problem, or you get free classes at the gym, but the times offered don't fit your work schedule.  Or, you never have time to get to the gym with the kids' school/sports/nap schedules.  None of these should be a deterrent in getting a great yoga session in!  Thanks to the beauty of modern technology, you can practice yoga in the comfort of your living {or office ~ I won't tell!}.

My absolutely favorite DVD yoga instructor is Rodney Yee.  He was recommended to me by a yoga instructor and by a girl in one of my yoga classes ~ I have four of his DVDs (and he has plenty other to choose from}.  My favorites are "Ultimate Power Yoga" and "A.M. Yoga for Your Week" {both pictured below}.  Both these DVDs contain five unique yoga workouts, each lasting about 20 minutes.  You can mix and match different sessions back-to-back, or if you're short on time, just squeeze one in and feel better about yourself because of it.  Rodney guides you through each workout with a steady, soothing voice, and tranquil music in the background.  I've picked up his DVDs at Borders (may you soon rest in peace...) and Target, but you can probably find them just about anywhere you buy workout DVDs. {Here is a  list of his DVDs at Amazon}.


So if you haven't tried yoga yet, give it a shot.  It can make you feel stronger and more centered, both physically and mentally.  It's a quick and effective way to get a great workout in.  And, if nothing else, you can justify rocking some cute yoga pants!  

As we acknowledge the events of September 11th, 2001 this weekend, it's important to remember that especially in times of stress and chaos {but really all the time}, we need to take a moment to take care of ourselves.

Coming soon to a downward-facing dog near you....

xoxo
Bean

{photo credits, in order: shaswatpatel.com; bestyogaaccessories.com; collagevideo.com}

2 comments:

  1. Hey I am stopping by from your facebook link. I'll follow your blog now. I love reading good blogs.

    I enjoy yoga when I get some free time. Sometimes I feel like I'm not doing enough for my body, but I definitely see results from even quick session of yoga.

    Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shelly! :) Glad to have you on board

    ReplyDelete