Friday, September 23, 2011

Welcome, Autumn!



Aaah, it's finally here ~ AUTUMN!!!  Far and away my favorite season of the year.  Autumn in New England is full of good things ~ leaves changing color; jeans and cozy sweaters; a fantastic variety boots; yummy feel-good foods; pumpkin this and pumpkin that.  Fall starts in September when the air is getting a bit cooler {enough for a sweater, not enough for a jacket} and the leaves start changing; it ends {calendar-wise} in December, in the throes of the Christmas season {my favorite time of the year ~ not to be confused with my favorite season}. In between, October and November give New Englanders at least a few picture-perfect, straight-out-of-the-movies autumn days ~ crisp air that leaves your cheeks a bit pink; colorful leaves that crunch under your feet; pumpkins perched on every doorstep; clear, cloudless skies; and just enough of a chill to make you want to wrap your hands around a mug of something warm.

So, long story short, there really isn't anything not to like about fall in New England, in my opinion!  My top reasons?



1. BOOTS!  Any boots, really.  Uggs are comfy and casual; a pair of black stiletto boots can go with anything in your closet from jeans to dresses; cowboy-style boots are cute and a little different.  But my 2011 Autumn Boot Obsession is definitely riding boots!  I am loving riding boots right now ~ so versatile and comfortable.  Coming out of summer, I've thrown them on over skinny jeans and topped the outfit off with a flowy tank or a cami and light sweater.  I cannot wait for the crisp fall air to start blowing in around here so I can try the trend I've been seeing in magazines and on TV shows lately ~ knee socks and riding boots, paired with girly skirts and dresses.  It's been a little too warm around here for knee-socks lately, but as soon as that autumn crispness kicks in, I am trying this cozy and adorable look!





2. Fall Spices!  I whipped up a batch of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies the other day {they usually only make an appearance around the holidays}, and as they baked up in the oven I exclaimed "It smells like Thanksgiving in here!".  Autumn spices conjure up cozy, snuggly, family holiday feelings in me ~ spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.  They just smell so gosh darn good, and can be found in all sorts of recipes, from cookies and pies, to soups, to beverages.  Which leads me to the third reason fall is my favorite....





3. Hot Apple Cider!  Cold apple cider is yummy too, but a warm glass of apple cider sprinkled with cinnamon just says "It's Fall!".  I am head over heels in love with Starbucks Caramel Apple Cider {which I believe is actually warmed apple juice with a cinnamon-y syrup mixed in, topped with whipped cream and caramel sauce}.  I have to give it a good 10-15 minutes to cool off before I can actually sip it, but boy oh boy, is it good! 




4. Changing Leaves!  You just can't beat New England for picturesque falls and winters.  Spring and summer here may be a bit too rainy and humid to be considered ideal, but we have fall and winter locked down.  There are many breathtaking sights that nature gives us, and one of them is undoubtedly the changing color of the leaves in autumn {and the pristine hush of freshly fallen snow ~ but that will come in a "Welcome, Winter!" blog}.  ;)  Sometime in late September/early October, a day arrives when all of a sudden you notice the leaves have changed in color, seemingly overnight, from plain summer green to rich, brilliant reds, oranges and yellows.  For a couple beautiful weeks, driving down New England back roads feels a bit like driving through a postcard ~ both sides of the road are streaked with these top-of-the-rainbow colors.  You wonder if you should in fact pull over and take a picture because you may not see anything so picture-perfect again.  Then, as the weather slowly gets colder, the leaves slowly start to drop off the trees.  This is nice for two reasons ~ one, the bright, beautiful colors now line both the tops of the trees and the streets and sidewalks; and two, you can hear and feel that satisfying leafy crunch under your boots when you take a stroll.


So, autumn is upon us, friends.  Each season has something exciting and beautiful to offer, especially in the parts of the world where you experience the true change of seasons; but no matter how long I live and where my life and travels take me, autumn in New England will always be my favorite.  I'll meet you here next time with a cup of hot apple cider...

xoxo
Bean

{photo credits:  almightydad.com; chictopia.com; bigoven.com; bakingbites.com; wallpaperbase.com}

No comments:

Post a Comment