Monday, December 5, 2011

Chocolate Crackletop Cookies {1st 12 Days Recipe}



I've been waiting since October to roll out my 12 Days of Christmas {Treats} for you all, and the time has finally arrived.  Get ready for some yummy treats for Christmas gifting and parties ~ lots of cookies, plus some other little handheld treats...all perfect for wrapping up and sticking in a gift bag!

First up...these crowd-pleasing Chocolate Crackletop Cookies!  I got this recipe from a cookbook called The Cookie Bible, on a Borders bookstore clearance rack of all places.  It was a wise few dollars to spend, because I've gotten a lot of mileage out of several recipes from the book over the past four or five years.  My friend Kiki asks just about every year if I'm sending her some of the "M&M cookies".  I try to switch up my recipes a bit each year so I don't get too predictable, but even if I'm not making these for everyone one year, I whip Kiki and her family up a batch.

This candy-studded dough gets rolled in sugar before baking, so the outside forms a sweet, crunchy crust, while the inside is super soft.  If you can find holiday M&Ms, or you feel like picking through a regular bag to get all the red and green ones for your dough, go for it!  I usually just use the regular mix, and I've never gotten any complaints. :)  Delish!

See that sugary shell on the outside?  Yum!

 Chocolate Crackletop Cookies

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup {1 stick} butter
4 squares {1 ounce each} unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups M&Ms chocolate mini baking bits {I've used regular-sized when I can't find the minis}
Additional granulated sugar

Combine flour and baking powder; set aside.  In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat combine 2 cups sugar, butter and chocolate, stirring until butter and chocolate are melted; remove from heat.  Gradually stir in eggs and vanilla.  Stir in flour mixture until well blended.  Chill mixture 1 hour.  Stir in M&Ms ; chill mixture an additional 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line cookie sheets with foil.  With sugar-dusted hands, roll dough into 1-inch balls; roll balls in additional granulated sugar.  Place about 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes.  Do not overbake.  Cool completely on wire racks.  Store in a tightly covered container.

Makes about 5 dozen cookies.




Happy baking!

xoxo
Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment