Friday, December 2, 2011

Take Your Child to a Bookstore Day!

It seems like there is a "day" for just about everything ~ Chocolate Cupcake Day, Hug a Left-Handed Person Day, Flip to the Cool Side of the Pillow Day...{I just made all those up, but I wouldn't be remotely surprised if they actually existed...in fact, I'm pretty sure Chocolate Cupcake Day is real, which I fully support}.  I just found out, not a moment too soon, that tomorrow is the second annual Take Your Child to a Bookstore Day!


Click here to visit the official website and see if there is a participating bookstore near you.  Even if there isn't, what a great excuse to get the kiddos out of the house, away from the TV and computer, and let them use their minds and imaginations for a bit.  Bookstores are closing left and right, as printed books get nudged out by their e-reader/tablet counterparts.  I still don't think that print is a completely dying art form, and there are no Nooks, Kindles, or such under my roof.  Even if you are an e-reader convert ~ do you really picture curling up in bed with your toddler to read to them from a tablet?  Probably not.  Books can be an endless source of entertainment for kids, tweens, and teens.

I've been reading since preschool.  I spent my entire childhood with a book in my hand ~ I read at the table {the better to ignore my brother with}, I read in the bath, I read in the pool and at the beach.  I read while walking to and from the bus stop, during the bus ride, and well after the lights were out for bedtime {God bless flashlights and nightlights}.  I always try to give books as part of Christmas or birthday presents to my nieces and nephews, in the hopes that they will develop a love of reading too.  My nine-year-old nephew loves reading, especially the Harry Potter series, and I couldn't be more thrilled.

So swing by a bookstore with your munchkins tomorrow.  You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain if they discover some books they can really lose themselves in.

And with the "Reading Rainbow" theme song playing loudly in my memory....

xoxo
Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment