Thursday, December 8, 2011

Homemade Gift Tags

This year I decided to make my own gift tags for all the presents I'll be giving.  Why?  I have no idea ~ but I've actually been having a lot of fun doing it!  I picked up a selection of Christmas-themed rubber stamps {some from the dollar bin!}, ink pads, and sparkly scrapbooking paper from Michael's.  {You could probably find similar items at Walmart ~ and don't forget to check your weekly fliers for Michael's or A.C. Moore coupons!}.  Using white cardstock I already had at home as the base of my gift tags, I've been making all sorts of festive, sparkly tags for all the gift recipients in my life!

You could whip up all your gift tags in one crafty afternoon, or do a few each day if you don't have too much time to dedicate ~ I crank out a few each night as I'm watching TV.  Check out the pics below to see the supplies I used and the different shapes, sizes, and styles of tags I've come up with so far!

Assemble your tools ~ plain cardstock for stamping and writing, sparkly or festive craft paper for backing, stamps, ink, adhesive, cropping tools, and embellishments.  {I also used paper cutting boards designed for scrapbooking, not pictured}.

 Some of my stamps {I went back and grabbed a "Merry Christmas" one and a holly-leaf one}.  Also, some of my old Creative Memories scrapbooking tools for fun edges and corners.


 Ink pads in red, green and silver, plus Glue Dots adhesive {the BEST craft adhesive, in my opinion}, a metallic silver pen and two Creative Memories wavy 'edgers' ~ you'll see how that works...


 Can't beat a little sparkle for the holidays!  {I went back and grabbed some green sparkly sheets too}.


So after I assembled my basic tools, it was time to get to work.  I didn't really plan any particular card ~ I just sort of zone out and see where my crafty side leads me.  Sometimes that yields great results, and sometimes it leaves me thinking "Well, that was a weird choice...".  Overall, when it comes to being crafty and creative, you really can't go wrong.
The first gift tag I made.  I used a Creative Memories "edger" to give the white cardstock a "scalloped" border.


 Silver pen comes out a bit too light ~ I may trace over the letters with a green or red pen to make them stand out more.  But who wouldn't want to receive a super-sparkly package like this one?!  {Glitter, glitter everywhere!}


 I used a Creative Memories "bubbles" paper punch to decorate the edge of some white cardstock.  After backing the bubble-holes with red sparkly paper and bordering the entire tag in festive green, doesn't it look like glittering Christmas ornaments are dancing across the paper?


 My favorite example of  'seeing where my crafty side leads me' ~ I used a holly garland stamp four times {once on each edge of the card} to create a "wreath" to frame my "To: / From:" section of the tag.


 Some of the final results!


I started this project last week, and I've gotten a number of tags done.  You have plenty of time to get a little creative with your gift tags, if you start now!  A piece of advice ~ stamp and embellish before you put your craft-paper backing on the tags.  Cardstock is much cheaper than scrapbooking paper, so tossing a piece that you don't like here or there isn't a big deal, but throwing away the craft paper could turn this into a much more expensive project.


Have fun, my little artists!

xoxo
Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment