Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Baby Girl Ballet Baby Shower Gift

Even when I don't try to, I often wind up with a "themed" gift, especially for things like baby showers, bridal showers, and housewarming parties.  {One of my favorite housewarming gifts, which I've put together a few times ~ a "chocolate"-themed gift basket of things to use around the house.  I've included things like chocolate-scented candles, chocolate-based cookbooks, chocolate-scented bath gels, and of course kitcheny goodies like chocolate cake mix, chocolate frosting, chocolate chips, brownie mix, a canister of cocoa, etc}.  This weekend I attended a baby shower for my soon-to-be-niece, and although it didn't start out intentionally, I wound up with a decidedly "ballet" themed gift.


The item that got the ballet-ball rolling was the picture.  My sister-in-law {actually, both of my sisters-in-law...sister-in-laws?} were actively involved in ballet growing up ~ they took ballet lessons throughout their childhood and got to dance in Boston Ballet's The Nutcracker several times.  Knowing that ballet was special to my SIL, I decided to see what was out there online for ballet-esque pictures.  I wound up on All Posters.com searching the "ballet dancer" category of posters.  I wanted something that wasn't too little-girlish {so it can grow with her if she wants}, but I didn't want something too grown-up either.  When I found this picture for $14.99, I knew it would be perfect.  I opted out of having the website frame it for me {starting at $44.99?!}, and instead selected a frame and a mat {which matches her purple nursery} at Michael's for a grand total of $9.98!  The poster is a slightly unusual shape, so I had to do a little behind-the-frame nipping, tucking, and taping ~ but I think the final result looks great!


 Next I added two Angelina Ballerina books.  I still wasn't really going for a "theme" ~ I love the Angelina Ballerina series for little girls, and I am a big, big proponent of gifting kids books that they can grow with while they're still young enough to not think that books are a lame gift.  Also, my SIL has wanted to name a daughter Angelina for a long, long time {and not because of Angelina Jolie}, although I think her hubby isn't on board with that name.  In any event, into my Amazon shopping cart went two Angelina books.


Lastly, I perused Old Navy's baby girl selection {I think I focused on the sale section}.  Once I saw the dance-oriented clothing available, I knew I was heading into theme territory.  I snagged this 3-6 month long-sleeved onesie and this 24-month "tutu cute" t-shirt {1. I like to give new parents bigger-sized baby clothes, even though the teeny-tiny newborn clothes are irresistible ~ I figure they get enough of those; 2. The t-shirt was sold out in smaller sizes.}  At about $7 each, they were a great price and pulled my whole gift together.



All wrapped up in pink-and-green polka-dots, my shower gift was complete! Sorry for the lousy picture ~ I forgot to take one of the finished look until I was at the shower.  The gift bag on the left and cleaning bottle on the right weren't part of my gift. :)  {The large box is a Diaper Genie off of the gift registry}.  I tend to spend more on close friends and close family than I would on acquaintances or family who I'm not really close to, but I also love to get a great deal.

There are lots of ways to center your gift around a "theme" and still stay on budget.  The Children's Place has a great selection of high-quality baby clothes, and you can get unbelievable deals on sale items.  It's free to get on their mailing list to receive coupons, and if you combine their great sales with a 20% off coupon, you can get clothes for literally a few dollars a piece.  Barnes and Noble frequently emails coupons to their "members" {again, free to sign up}.  And always remember to price-check things like movies and books at Amazon ~ sometimes you can get brand-new items for much lower than suggested retail price.  Go in on a group gift if that helps with budgeting, or adapt one of these themes to fit your criteria:
  • Grab the baby tub off of their registry {most mamas register for one}, and add some bath items that they may have also registered  for ~ towels, washcloths, baby shampoo, bath toys, etc.  You may even be able to find an itsy-bitsy baby bath robe {guaranteed to draw awww's from shower attendees} for a great price at Children's Place or Macy's.  The most fun part of this gift?  The tub itself serves as the "gift basket" ~ pile the other items inside {wrapped or not}, wrap gauzy white tulle around it {you can buy tulle at Michael's or most Walmarts}, and tie at the top with a pretty ribbon.
  • Try a "feeding time" themed gift ~ stick close to the registry for this one, as Mom will probably feel strongly about the brands baby is exposed to.  Depending on her plans, those gifts could include a breast pump, Boppy and burp cloths, or bottles and formula.
  • One gift-theme that is sure to get lots and lots of use ~ "potty time"!  Think Diaper Genie or diaper pail, diapers, wipes, changing pad covers, and Desitin or Vaseline.  Again, stick close to the registry if Mama-to-Be has registered for these items ~ she probably is particular about which diapers and wipes will be touching baby's behind.
  • There are lots of bedtime items on baby registries.  Pick from sheets, crib bumpers, mobiles, pajamas and sleeping gowns, nightlights, and baby monitors.  If it's on the registry, a humidifier would also fit into this theme. To personalize the gift a little more and include something that isn't on the registry, you could add some classic bedtime books {Goodnight Moon, anyone?}.
Just remember to gift Mama some things off of her registry ~ it's designed to let us know what she wants and needs, and to help avoid duplicates of gifts.  We want to personalize the gifts, of course, but remember that your taste and Mom's taste may not be the same.  I did take a bit of a risk buying my SIL the framed picture ~ it wasn't something she registered for, of course.  I know from knowing her that it wouldn't bother her that I had chosen something to hang on her baby's wall.  Also, I didn't choose something I liked {although I like it}, but something that I knew would have meaning for her.  Lastly, I made sure it would match the colors she was decorating the nursery in {which I determined from her registry}.  I give her credit ~ I think I would want complete control over decorating and wouldn't want people selecting decor items that I may not like.  It's certainly not a risk I would take with just about anyone else I know ~ I just knew she would be okay with it.

Moms out there ~ what were the "best"/most useful shower gifts you received at your baby showers?

xoxo
Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment