Thursday, November 3, 2011

Unleashing my Inner Artist with Pottery Painting!

I'm not really an artist, per se.  I'm crafty, yes.  I love scrapbooking and doing other types of crafts.  I think I have a good eye for color and design.  But if you sat me down at an easel and expected me to paint you a masterpiece, I'm afraid you'd be pretty disappointed.   So, the crafty side of me was excited, and the I'm-not-artistically-inclined side of me was a bit apprehensive when my friend Glory {who also posted about our experience on Six and the Suburbs} and I decided to try our hand at pottery painting this summer after purchasing a Groupon deal.  We stepped into the shop with no idea what to expect;  we left with beautiful, useable ceramics!  On that first visit, Glory painted four drink coasters for her at-home "bar", and I painted a serving platter to commemorate the the hub's and my fifth wedding anniversary.

After our positive pottery painting experience, we knew personalized ceramic pieces would make great Christmas gifts for some of the people in our lives.  A few weeks ago I returned to the pottery shop to start working on gifts.  My one major requirement ~ the pieces I give to people {or create for myself} need to be useable.  There are plenty of "knick-knack" type items to paint in the shop, but I don't want to contribute to people's clutter.  I'd rather gift someone something they can actually get use out of ~ a coffee mug; a serving platter; a wine or margarita glass; a candy dish; coasters; a dish set; a flower vase; soup bowls, etc.  {All of which are items at the shop we went to}. 

I entered the shop {by myself ~ that Glory is a busy girl!} not knowing exactly who I was going to be painting for and what type of item I would be selecting.  I perused the shop, waiting for inspiration to strike.  Within minutes, I spotted a butterfly-shaped chip-and-dip-type serving dish.  My mom loves butterflies, and I'm sure she likes chips and dip {or at least entertains people who like chips and dip} ~ done!  I also selected and painted a few other items during this visit, but I don't want to take the chance of people seeing their Christmas presents in advance on here.  {My mom doesn't read this, so no worries there}.  Check out my start to finish painting process below...


The blank canvas. {The smudge on the upper right is the price written in pencil.  Anything written in pencil on the piece will burn off in the firing and glazing process; you can sketch out designs/wording on your piece and paint over the ones you like ~ anything else won't show up on your finished product}.



First things first ~ my autograph and the date, so she'll always remember when she received such an amazing, thoughtful gift {and from whom}. ;)  I also included a "handwash" reminder.


 Now you wipe off your piece with a damp sponge to remove any dust, and start painting!  I literally decided my color/design scheme as I went along.  I painted pink wings and a blue body and antenna {three coats of each, drying in between}.


 Then I decided to speckle the butterfly wings with pink and blue polka-dots.  I choose a pink and blue that were slightly darker than the ones I had used on the wings and body, staying in the same color family.  I used these little round sponges to make uniform-sized dots {they have lots of tools at the shops ~ stamps, stencils, sponges, and more}.


 Almost done!  {I also did three coats of dots, stamping each one three times with drying time in between coats}.


 The amazing ice cream that was my dinner after I finished the butterfly and before I started my next project.  I know it's not really related, but it was so delicious I had to share ~ a "Campfire" {smores} sundae from the cute ice cream shop next door; it came complete with hand-toasted marshmallows on top!  Okay, back to business...

Ta-dah!  The finished product, all shiny and bright after being fired and glazed at the shop.  {You pick it up a few days later}.


If you're in the southeastern Massachusetts area like Glory and I, check out South Shore Pottery Shop on Route 18 in Abington.  If you're not, check out pottery painting places near you ~ they're popping up everywhere. {Color Me Mine has locations all across the country and the world}.   It's something people of all ages can participate in and enjoy; it's relaxing; it can be a great social activity if you get a group of girls together to go; and it's productive ~ create pieces that you can gift to friends and family or use yourself!

Have fun, my little artists!

xoxo
Bean


No comments:

Post a Comment