Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Easiest Pumpkin Pie You'll Ever Make

I realized yesterday that I haven't blogged in a few days!  Sometimes life just gets in the way, and I got wrapped up in "life" this week.  But I'm back, and I have a fantastic Thanksgiving {or Christmas} dessert recipe to share!  This has to be the easiest pumpkin pie you'll ever make ~ probably one of the easiest pies, period.  Why?  Because it's no-bake!  Which means it's that much quicker for you to whip together, and even the little ones can help because there's no oven.  {In fact, my mom has told me that I made this very recipe, by myself, for Thanksgiving one year in grade school}.

I tore this recipe out of a magazine many moons ago ~ five or six years ago, at least.  I can't even attribute it to one particular source ~ it was an advertisement put together by several companies {Cool Whip, Philadelphia, Honey Maid, and Jell-O, among others} with a pumpkin pie recipe and a chocolate caramel pecan pie recipe {also delicious} included to promote their products.  Not only is this recipe easy-as-pie {ha!}, it's unique because of the whipped topping/cream cheese layer under the pumpkin mix ~ it's pretty, and a surprise to guests!  Here's the recipe {with my commentary in parentheses and italics ~ tips and tweaks from years and years of making this recipe}.  Enjoy!



Double Layer No-Bake Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients
4 ounces cream cheese, softened {I use whipped cream cheese ~ it saves a few calories and mixes a little easier.  I also microwave for 10-20 seconds}
1 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tub {8 ounces} whipped topping, thawed {regular or lite are fine, but I'd skip fat-free}
1 graham cracker pie crust {I do the "two extra servings" kind ~ keeps the filling from overflowing}
1 cup milk
1 can {15 ounces} pumpkin {not pumpkin pie mix!}
2 pkgs {4 servings each} vanilla instant pudding & pie filling {sugar-free works fine}
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Mix cream cheese, 1 Tbsp milk, and sugar in a large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Gently stir in half of the whipped topping. {Gently is right ~ too much stirring will cause whipped topping to thin out too much}.  Spread onto bottom of crust.  {Place filled pie crust into freezer to firm up, just while you mix the pumpkin layer}.

Pour 1 cup milk into a large bowl.  Add pumpkin, dry pudding mixes, and spices.  Beat with a wire whisk {or electric hand mixer} 2 minutes or until well blended ~ mixture will be thick.  {Remove pie crust from freezer}.  Spread pumpkin mixture over cream cheese layer.

Refrigerate 4 hours or until set.  Top with remaining whipped topping just before serving.  Store leftover pie in refrigerator.  Makes 10 servings {or 12, with the 'two extra servings' crust}.



 Gather your ingredients {only one can of pumpkin is needed ~ I accidentally put two in this pic}

 My much-loved, oft-used copy of this recipe



 Mix the cream cheese layer and spread in pie crust


 Pop crust in the freezer for just as long as it takes to mix up pumpkin layer ~ otherwise, the cream cheese layer can ooze up and over the sides once the heavier pumpkin mix is atop it.



 Now mix up the pumpkin layer of the pie and spread to completely cover cream cheese layer



 The finished product


xoxo
Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment