Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Cheap and Easy Scented Candle Alternative

I've heard of this home-fragrance trick for years, but had never tried it out ~ simmer cinnamon sticks in water on the stove top to make your whole house smell good.  The other day while passing through the produce section of the supermarket, I spotted a package of cinnamon sticks out of the corner of my eye and grabbed it on a whim.  For a few dollars and the chance to make my apartment smell like holiday baking, why not?



Tonight while washing dishes and cleaning up, I figured I might as well try it out.  I put a shallow amount of tap water in a small saucepan and tossed in two cinnamon sticks, turning the burner on medium.  Once it achieved a good boil, I turned the flame down to low, and waited.

Now, my nose is a bit stuffed up due to seasonal allergies, but lo and behold, less than ten minutes later I could definitely detect the scent of cinnamon wafting across the kitchen.  And did it smell good!  After about 20 minutes or so, I added a bit more water to the pan {I assume if the water boils all the way down, you'll end up getting a charred-cinnamon smell, which doesn't seem nearly as appealing}.  Although cinnamon has a decidedly spicy taste,  it was giving off an intense sweet aroma ~ almost a bit too sweet.  I shook some powdered nutmeg and cloves, which have much earthier scents, into the pan ~ and a dash of ginger just for good measure.  The house smelled like Thanksgiving baking in no time!

I am a devout scented-candle burner, and I probably will never give that up.  I just love my apartment to smell fresh and welcoming, and I change scents with the seasons.  But it is nice to now have an inexpensive, easy, and unique alternative to make my house smell delicious!  Any other ideas for scenting the house this way?  Perhaps a few drops of vanilla extract or lemon extract in a pot of water?  I'll test it out another day!

xoxo
Bean


{photo credit: apartmenttherapy.com}

No comments:

Post a Comment