Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Perfect Autumn Treat -- Caramel and Chocolate Apples!

I can't remember the last time  I had a candy apple or caramel apple.  I even made some this week, but I still can't remember the last time I ate one because my hubby whisked the 10 I made off to work to share before I could even try a bite!  He ran away with them before I even had a chance to take a picture of the finished product, so I had him take a picture on his phone and send it to me.  {I skipped the crunchy red candy-coated ones and instead made some caramel-dipped and some chocolate-covered ~ yum!}



I dipped and rolled my caramel apples first, one by one.  Then I did my chocolate ones.  If the coatings sit out for too long {especially the caramel}, they will start to solidify and won't coat the apples as smoothly.  You can reheat and restir the coatings {at 30 second intervals} as needed.

I coated about half my apples in caramel and half in chocolate.  I rolled some in crushed cookies or candy, drizzled peanut butter on some, and drizzled chocolate on some caramel apples and caramel on some chocolate ones.  Some of my apples got multiple toppings, and some just got one.  You could even leave some plain!  Let your imagination {and your stomach!} be your guide on this one ~ there are no wrong answers.


What I Used
10 apples (you want a more firm variety ~ I used Honeycrisp}
2 bags of caramels
1-2 bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips {I used about 1 1/2 bags}

Toppings
Crushed toffee candy {you can buy Heath bars already crushed ~ in my grocery store they're in the same spot as the chocolate chips}
Crushed Oreo cookies
Peanut butter

Also
Vegetable oil
Water
Popsicle sticks

1. Rinse and dry your apples.  Pull out the stems and insert popsicle sticks.

2.  Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.  For caramel-coated apples, spray the wax paper with cooking spray.

3. In a microwave-safe bowl, place unwrapped caramels and a few tablespoons of water.  Microwave for 1 minute intervals, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth.  Add more water if necessary.

4. Hold an apple by the stick and roll it in the caramel.  Use a spoon to help coat the apple if necessary.  Immediately roll in any toppings and set apple on sprayed wax paper to set.

5.  Repeat.

For chocolate-coated apples ~ in a microwave-safe bowl, melt half a bag of chocolate chips, using 30 second intervals and stirring between each interval.  When chocolate is melted and smooth, stir in a few drops of vegetable oil to thin chocolate and help it coat apples more smoothly.  Use same dipping process as caramel apples.  {Melt more chocolate as necessary}. The wax paper doesn't need to be sprayed with cooking spray.

For peanut butter drizzle ~ melt a few tablespoons of peanut butter and some vegetable oil in a microwave-safe bowl.  Scoop some up on a spoon and "flick" over/toward the apple to drizzle it, or for a more controlled drizzle, load up a pastry bag with the melted peanut butter and squeeze {just make sure peanut butter isn't too hot to handle!}

I made my apples at night and they were left out overnight to set, but they don't need to be left for that long ~ you should be good to go after an hour or so.  Just give the chocolate time to harden and the caramel time to firm up a bit {the caramel will never "harden", but you don't want it so soft that everything is sliding off as you try to eat it}.


Other topping ideas that I didn't get around to using but seem yummy ~ coconut flakes; crushed nuts; mini M&Ms; crushed chocolate chip cookies; mini chocolate chips; crushed pretzels; crumbled peppermints or candy canes.  Also, you could try melting down white baking chips or milk chocolate chips {and mixing in a bit of vegetable oil} instead of semi-sweet chocolate!

What a fun way to get in a fruit serving! ;)

xoxo
Bean

3 comments:

  1. those look great! i can't believe he took off with them and you didn't get to try one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that sad? :( Maybe I'll just have to make some more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should...and send one my way! :o)

    ReplyDelete