Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cake {with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream}

Last night I whipped up Picky Palate's Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream ~ and yes, it's as amazing as it sounds!  The cake is soooo moist {thanks to canned pumpkin and sour cream}, and the pumpkin spice buttercream frosting is heavenly.  I am always looking for new pumpkin recipes to add to my repertoire ~ it's good for you {I don't think the sugar and chocolate cancels out pumpkin's healthy qualities...}, it's yummy, and it is so definitely "fall"!

I took a picture of my finished product, but Jenny's pictures just looked so much prettier, so it's hers posted below {I really need to figure out how to fully utilize all the settings on my camera so my pictures can be amazing too!}  I always like to give credit when I use someone's pictures to add to my posts, or when I share their recipe or craft ideas, etc.  I have always been great at following a recipe and producing yummy results, and usually with following craft project instructions too.  When I walk around Michael's or the grocery store nowadays, the wheels are turning in my head to figure out how to create something fresh, new, and fabulous to create and share with you all.  In the future, I hope to share more and more original ideas with you ~ it's a great sense of accomplishment to come up with an original idea that people love!  In the meantime, though, I strongly believe in identifying my sources and giving credit where it is due ~ to the super-talented ladies {and gentlemen} who came up with the ideas in the first place!  I won't ever take credit for someone else's genius.  I hope you find this blog brings you great ideas from sources you hadn't yet discovered!

For the original posting of this delish recipe, plus pictures of her step-by-step process, visit Jenny's Picky Palate site here.  This girl is fantastic!  Just take a look at this drool-worthy slice of chocolatey, pumpkiny goodness....



Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream

1 box devils food cake mix
1 small box instant chocolate pudding
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
4 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
15 ounce can pumpkin (reserving 2 Tablespoons for buttercream)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Pumpkin Spice Buttercream
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons reserved pumpkin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
2 to 4 tablespoons milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray two 9×5 inch bread pans with non-stick cooking spray.

2. In a stand or electric mixer, place cake mix, pudding mix, oil, buttermilk, eggs, sour cream and can of pumpkin, and chocolate chips–mix all ingredients until well combined, about 1 to 2 minutes. Divide cake batter evenly into prepared bread pans. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until cooked through.

3. While cakes are baking prepare the buttercream. Place butter, reserved 2 tablespoons pumpkin and cinnamon into stand or electric mixer. Mix on high until well combined. Slowly add the powdered sugar until thick and creamy. Slowly add the milk until buttercream is a nice consistency. Frost over cooled cakes, slice and serve.

Makes 16 servings

Enjoy!

xoxo
Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment